I suppose after over a year with no blog input I might mention that I'm back, but the fact that you're reading this makes that statement superfluous -- which is something a good editor would notice.
Yup, I'm on a tack here, because I've just spent the last couple of months honing and refining -- i.e., editing -- a number of already written projects that were nevertheless not marketable. All good projects, all the type so many aspiring authors would take directly to a POD printer/publisher and pay good money to have made into a finished book. And therein lies the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on the American public: that having a pretty book means you have a marketable book. Oh, so wrong, so very, very wrong.
Why? Because the the one thing the vast majority of self- and subsidy published books (where you pay to have the book published) have in common is No Editorial Accountability. That's why bookstores seldom put them on the shelves. That's why they don't get reviewed by major sources and their authors can't seem to make it beyond local talk shows. Anyone who picks up the book and reads for even a few minutes knows that no one other than the author (and, perhaps, a few friends or critique groupers) has gone over the text! It doesn't flow well. It's over or underwritten. It's full of word-choice, punctuation, or grammatical errors. It's inconsistent. The plot is obvious, the characters are flat, the dialogue is static, the thesis is buried or unclear, the chapters are erratic -- in short, it hasn't been edited.
Okay, yeah, editing can be tough. I did a two-page sample edit on one manuscript where the opening line was buried toward the bottom of the first page and the main character "bled" all his emotions in a gush of redundant paragraphs. When the author initially read my edit, she was aghast. But after she lived with it a while, she called back to thank me, admitting how much more impact the edited version had -- and that was just the first two pages!
Such is the power of editing! Editing can make your writing stronger. Editing can make your nonfiction arguments more compelling, increase your plot's dramatic tension, heighten your dialogue's impact -- even spice up your love scenes! Who was Francis Bacon? Probably Shakespeare's editor!
Okay, end of rant, beginning of offer. Before you spend your hard-earned, carefully saved $$ on self or subsidy publishing, give your book a fighting chance in the marketplace. Send me your first two pages, and let me show you just how much more powerful and clearer your literary message can be -- No Charge! You've worked so hard to produce your manuscript. Don't consign it to a life in the shadows! I've spent a lifetime helping make people's literary dreams come true. How? Editing!
Saturday, January 05, 2008
Lost in the Shuffle: Editing
Labels:
books,
editing,
novels,
self-publishing,
subsidy press,
writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Quick question. I'm only a teenager, but I've been told I have an aptitude for creative writing. Personally, I think that there are major areas that I need to improve in, but my biggest problem is with editing my own writing, whether it be for readability or hard content. The most common comments on my papers are, "Too complex," or "Awkward word use," and the like. I was wondering if in the writing industry (if it can be called that) the use of large or largely-unknown words is such a bad thing as people claim it to be?
ReplyDeleteHere's the quandry: do you wish to communicate your thoughts to the reader in a clear, easily understood manner, or do you wish to demonstrate the depth of your vocabulary? If the former, then you must write to a more common-usage level. If the latter, than expect to make some people's eyes glaze over.
ReplyDeleteIt's tough to be a writer in high school. Your flair for creativity naturally conflicts with your teachers' demand for simplicity within specific guidelines. Things will get better when you matriculate, but only if you acknowledge that the general public has baseline reading level above which your prose may lose comprehension. In other words, you must decide, every time you sit down to write, which is more important to you: what you say or how you say it. Even in school, one must keep the audience in mind.
Does this answer you question, or have I missed the mark?
C
Perfect, thanks very much for that perspective. Nothing I've read has spoken very definitively on the subject, but I guess I had never thought to realize it is as simple as saying that content matters much more than the way something is presented. Maybe the reason why I haven't really gotten it through my head until this point is that I tend to balk and pause whenever I think, "Okay, now, time to dumb it down!" Hehe.
ReplyDeleteBut anyway,
Thank you!
-Abhorson.
You're more than welcome.
ReplyDelete