But most don't know how to write a book. And, sadly, neither does the typical business, advertising, article, or web-content writer.
Books are special. Books are long and intricate, not short and chunky. Those of us who write books tend to be lousy at writing short and chunky; why is it so hard to believe the reverse is not also true? Ask any acquisition editor and he/she will tell you: book editing is not the same as editing academic papers, print or web articles, or business documents. The "rules" of book editing are different than those in other editing arenas. The "rules" of book writing are definitely different than for other types of writing, and the "rules" of ghostwriting are so vastly different that only a small handful of ghosts know what they are!
I love writing and editing books. I've written and edited dozens of them and hope to write and edit dozens more. I especially love ghostwriting books and, yes, I know the rules of ghostwriting because, frankly, I'm the one who not only came up with them, but put them into my editorial-service provider instructional method (patent pending). They're very simple, and they start with the most important rule for any freelance writer, editor, or ghostwriter:
Make the client happy.
Can't get much simpler than that. What does all this have to do with the book YOU want to write? Also simple: unless you have been blessed with a felicity of expression and a flair for structure and composition, you're probably going to need help translating the "book in you" into a viable manuscript that will resonate, not to mention communicate, with readers beyond than your friends and family.
You're going to need a writer, a ghostwriter, or an editor.
All I ask is that you look for someone who specifically writes, ghostwriters, or edits BOOKS. It will save you time, it will save you money, and it could possibly even save your sanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment